Saturday, December 20, 2008

Subversive knitting

I always thought any form of DIY is subversive. If you think that knitting is for grannies, think again! Even though I believe that grannies can teach us a thing or two about knitting!

In this blog I want to share my thoughts about knitting and my projects as I like to share in general...

I knitted my first project when I was very young, a blanket for my doll. I didn't do much after that mainly because I bought into the BS that knitting is uncool and because I had no supplies.

My first contact with a subversive use of knitting was an exhibition of Grayson Perry's work in Amsterdam, where he used traditionally female techniques like embroidery and knitting to convey his message.

A couple of years ago a friend showed me how to crochet and I remembered how much I liked knitting as a process. Soon thereafter I started knitting compulsively. It wasn't always a zen experience but it was satisfying and I managed to create some usable items that I will be featuring in this blog. I still pretty much follow the patterns for now, until I am experienced enough to design my own creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment